Choosing a university – checklist
Like we've said before, choosing a university is a big decision, and picking the right one is a mammoth challenge, especially because there's so much to choose from.
To help you make the right decision for you, we've compiled a quick checklist of things to look for and think about, something to help you boil the spectrum of choice down to something resembling a manageable shortlist.
- Does the university offer your course?
- Does the course itself have appealing options?
- Is it campus or city based?
- Is it close enough to/far away from home?
- Do you know how expensive the local area is?
- Is it close to a town or city?
- Is the campus easy to get to?
- Is it safe?
- Have you collected prospectuses?
- Have you visited?
- Does the university provide for your extra-curricular interests?
- Are there placement years or opportunities to study abroad?
- Are the entry requirements realistic?
- What are student satisfaction rates and graduate prospects like?
- What’s the location like? Think about accommodation and travel costs.
Tick all those off your list and you might well wind up with a useable shortlist; a handful of universities that really meet your demands as a student and, from there, close to the final five universities you’ll eventually submit to UCAS.
Next page: Top 10 UK Universities for Facilities Spend