University of Birmingham
Libraries and information services
How is this affected by coronavirus?When not on campus, students can request books to be collected later. Digital resources include an amazing 50,000 e-journals, 500,000 e-books and 1,000+ databases, accessible any time, anywhere. *These provisions may change.
- The modern Main Library is one of the largest academic libraries in the country, home to 2.7 million books.
- Study spaces in the main library are open 24/7 in term time.
- In addition, subject-specific libraries are available for medicine, fine art, and dentistry.
- Library staff provide front line and specialist support, information literacy and academic skills teaching.
Other services and facilities
How is this affected by coronavirus?During Welcome in September and October 2020, multiple outdoor tents and marquees were erected to ensure students could safely socialise – including Lakeside at the Vale Village accommodation and Welcome marquees on central campus. *These provisions may change.
- Students can access almost all teaching and learning facilities at the university. For most spaces booking is required, and capacity is limited to ensure safety and adequate social distancing.
Other campus facilities
From libraries and lecture theatres to cafés and a student club, everything a student needs is on campus – including mini-markets, a hairdresser and the university’s Sport & Fitness club. There’s also multiple galleries and museums to explore for free!
Student Services teams support students to settle and stay at the university. Professional advice and help is given for problems that may affect students’ learning.
The Guild of Students' Guild Advice service provides free professional and independent student advice. They can help with a range of issues from money to academic issues, employment, housing and immigration questions.
Capacity has reduced across all facilities in line with Covid guidance and to allow for extra cleaning. To help manage capacity there is a new booking system and a temporary gym in a sports hall.
Virtual classes continue to be run for self-isolating students. The booking system and extra cleaning are to help students return to sport with confidence. Intramural sports have expanded to meet increased demand.
See a summary of sports and activities offered below, or search the Sports Table to discover which exercise and facilities are available at each university.