Libraries and information services
How is this affected by coronavirus?Study and browsing slots are bookable in advance to support social distancing. One-way systems are in place in the library, and books are automatically renewed. The library offers a live chat support service to students. *These provisions may change.
- Libraries across all sites provide study spaces, PC zones, individual and group study rooms.
- Substantial book and journal collections, plus access to specialist databases and a range of other digital resources.
- Students can work with the library service to suggest new resources and services.
- Britannia Mill has a well-stocked specialist art and design library.
Other services and facilities
How is this affected by coronavirus?For the latest information, please refer to the university's coronavirus web page. *These provisions may change.
- During full lockdown there is no access to practical course facilities. When restrictions are eased, students can access facilities in a three-hour on-campus practical session assigned to them.
Food and drink can be purchased at all sites from a range of outlets. Some of these are run by the Union of Students, and all offer good value, varied options for meals and light snacks during the daytime.
Faith support and provision
The chaplaincy team offers pastoral support to all students, whatever their faith or world view. It represents a broad range of traditions, providing a supportive environment in which matters relating to faith and belief can be explored.
Derby is the only university in the country to own a professional learning theatre. Derby Theatre supports learning across several courses, and there are discounted tickets for students on some productions.
Sports facilities are being increasingly used for academic teaching, which has limited access for student sports clubs and other organised sports. Exercise classes, activities and gym use have reduced capacity and shorter session times. Changing and shower facilities are limited.
Student sports clubs are following Covid guidelines to enable training to continue safely. A track and trace form is used to register participants.
See a summary of sports and activities offered below, or search the Sports Table to discover which exercise and facilities are available at each university.