Leicester is a student-friendly and affordable city in the heart of the UK. With world-class festivals, fantastic shops, cafés, bars, clubs and theatres, it also has a great sporting reputation. Beyond the city, there's beautiful countryside.
Nightlife and culture
- The city's nightlife has bars and clubs to suit all tastes. Live music venues feature big name artists and local up-and-coming bands. Plus folk, jazz, classical and more.
- Every February the UK's longest-running comedy festival takes over the city, with hundreds of shows and events across Leicester.
- Festivals from many cultures include the largest Diwali celebrations outside India and the UK's second largest Caribbean carnival.
- A sporting city, it's home to Leicester Tigers, Leicestershire County Cricket Club, Leicester Riders (basketball) and 2016 Premier League Champions, Leicester City.
- Superb shopping, from high street brands at Highcross shopping centre to speciality boutiques in Leicester Lanes to the largest covered market in Europe.
- Guaranteed university-managed accommodation for all students who apply for a room before 1 September each year.
- The Village: distinctive halls plus converted Edwardian villas with amazing features like wood-panelling and secret gardens.
- In a leafy suburb 3 miles from campus, the Village is surrounded by green space including the university’s botanic garden.
- The City: purpose-built self-catered blocks within 10 minutes’ walk of campus, city centre and train station.
- Both locations have 24-hour support, student residential advisors and a packed social calendar available to all students.
Accommodation costs 2020/2021
£87- £179 per week
- More than 250 societies covering arts, sport, faiths, national cultures, politics, campaigning, hobbies and student media.
- With major investment on its rebuilding and refurbishment, the Students' Union building is set to open in September 2020.
- The only on-campus O2 Academy live music venue in the UK, hosting established and new bands, plus club events and student nights.
- A shuttle bus service and bicycle lanes connect the campus and the Village accommodation. The SU runs a safety bus until 2.00am.
- Largest underground cycle store of any UK university, with swipe-card access for more than 300 bikes in the centre of campus.
- London St Pancras is just 65 minutes away. The Eurostar means that Leicester students can be in Paris by lunchtime.
- Easy access to East Midlands and Birmingham airports, plus direct rail and coach links to Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton.
- The Unitemps service offers temporary employment opportunities to current and former students.
- Paid work for student ambassadors includes helping with campus tours, open days and many other activities across the university.
- The Students' Union offers part-time work to fit around studies, as well as training for students.
Whatuni student ratings
What do students say?
University reviews collected by whatuni.com. Discover what students say about their experience at this university.
74th / 131 universities
COURSE & LECTURERS3.9
83rd / 131 universities
45th / 98 universities
34th / 131 universities