Portsmouth is a lively island city that’s welcoming and affordable to live in. From winter windsurfing to summer festivals, inspiration is around every corner. Beaches and boutiques are always an easy stroll away.
Nightlife and culture
- From A-list to up-and-comers, catch great gigs at live music venues like the iconic Wedgewood Rooms. Dance til dawn at PRYZM or Popworld. Don’t miss Victorious Festival!
- Culture vultures feast on comedy, theatre and dance in venues big and small, plus Portsmouth’s rich maritime history brought to life at the Historic Dockyard.
- Yes, the fish, chips and ice-cream are stellar by the sea – but Portsmouth foodies enjoy authentic treats from around the world, plus unique eateries like Pie and Vinyl.
- Grab designer bargains from top brands at Gunwharf Quays, check out artisan studios at the Hotwalls, and bag unique items from independent traders on Albert Road.
- Active living? Join a student sports club, take a kayak or paddleboard out on the Solent, run the seafront, or cheer on a Pompey FC game with a discounted Purple ticket.
- A place in halls is guaranteed for all new full-time undergraduates who apply for accommodation by the deadline.
- Students can choose from halls around campus at a range of budgets, with self-catered and catered options, mostly en suite.
- Students can opt for rooms in quiet zones and single sex areas.
- To help students find private sector properties and housemates, the university offers online resources and events.
- The Residence Life team provides welfare cover 24/7 and runs a varied social events programme for all new students.
Accommodation costs 2020/2021
£134- £174 per week
£98- £164 per week
- The Students’ Union exists to represent the student voice and enhance students’ university experience.
- The SU is home to over 200 student groups and clubs, which students can join to network, socialise, learn and grow.
- Social and learning events led by the SU help students feel part of a community at the university.
- With the compact campus woven into the city centre, teaching spaces, halls of residence, shops and bars all rub shoulders.
- Stroll just 10 minutes from campus to the beach, historic Old Portsmouth or bustling Gunwharf Quays.
- The UK’s only island city, Portsmouth couldn’t be easier to get around on foot, bike or using the free university bus.
- Reach London in 90 minutes by rail, escape to the New Forest in 60, or take a National Express coach from the Students’ Union.
- Hop on a hovercraft to the Isle of Wight or go by ferry as far as France, Spain and the Channel Islands.
- The university sources part-time jobs from reputable employers – from bars and restaurants, to retail, offices and healthcare.
- The university and SU employ over 1,000 students in roles including administration, IT, hospitality and student ambassadors.
- Students can easily find all part-time opportunities, many exclusive to the university, via the MyCareer jobs board.
Whatuni student ratings
What do students say?
University reviews collected by whatuni.com. Discover what students say about their experience at this university.
45th / 131 universities
COURSE & LECTURERS3.9
93rd / 131 universities
92nd / 131 universities