One of the happiest places to live in the UK, Winchester is the quintessential English cathedral city. Its historic past continues to provide an inspiring backdrop to the wide range of places eat, drink and socialise, all only an hour from London.
Nightlife and culture
- Winchester enjoys its food and drink. With dozens of welcoming cafés, fresh restaurants, cosy pubs and unique bars, there is something for all tastes.
- There are festivals and special events – from the famous Christmas market, to Winchester cocktail week, to the street arts festival Hat Fair.
- See music, films and theatre in the heart of the city. Unique venues like the Everyman cinema, Theatre Royal Winchester and the Guildhall help to keep students entertained.
- Winchester oozes heritage. Multiple museums and National Trust and English Heritage sites are right on the university's doorstep.
- Winchester has good shopping in the bag – a wide variety of independent shops sit side-by-side with high street names along pleasant shopping streets.
- University accommodation ranges from on-campus catered and self-catered options, to off-campus accommodation in Winchester.
- Different housing choices are available to suit a range of budgets.
- Full-time undergraduate students entering their first year are guaranteed university accommodation (conditions apply).
- Accommodation may be available beyond the first year, including for students with disabilities or international students.
- Advice sessions are available for students seeking private accommodation, giving information and checklists on how to rent.
Accommodation costs 2020/2021
£5004 per year
£3528- £9905 per year
- Elected officers lead campaigns on a range of issues. Academic and welfare support is provided through an advice centre.
- There is a full programme of events and entertainment, much of which occurs in the Vault, the 1,000-capacity venue on campus.
- Winchester Students' Union offers over 100 sports teams and societies, as well as representational networks.
- The university is located a 10-minute walk from the city centre.
- Winchester is an hour from London Waterloo by direct train, with services every 20 minutes at peak times.
- The National Express coach service picks up from Winchester and serves dozens of destinations across the UK.
- Winchester is located close to the M3, which provides easy road access to the M25 and M27.
- Heathrow and Gatwick airports are within easy reach by road and rail. Southampton Airport is 15 minutes by train.
- CareerConnect is the university's own jobs portal. It can help students find part-time paid work while they study.
- There are numerous opportunities for part-time work on campus, including as a student ambassador or in Students' Union venues.
- The city of Winchester's retail, hospitality and heritage sectors can provide many opportunities for part-time student work.
Whatuni student ratings
What do students say?
University reviews collected by whatuni.com. Discover what students say about their experience at this university.
86th / 131 universities
COURSE & LECTURERS3.9
85th / 131 universities
41st / 98 universities
54th / 131 universities