The university is set in the historic centre of York, a city rich in diversity, culture and surrounded by national parks. Its streets are lined with a mix of independent and high street shops and it is home to countless festivals throughout the year.
Nightlife and culture
- York boasts a pub or club for every night of the year, from record-holding gin bars and quaint pubs dating back to 1503, to clubs with revolving dance floors.
- Whether you're a foodie, a history buff or a film fanatic, York's calendar of festivals and events caters to a range of interests and passions.
- Visit York's magnificent theatres, find out about local history at over ten museums in the city centre, or enjoy a film at independent cinemas.
- A supportive community for LGBTQ+. York Pride takes place annually in June and an LGBT history month in February. The university also has an active LQBTQ+ society.
- York is a multifaith city with visitors from across the world. York offers worship spaces for many religions and York St John welcome students from all faiths, and none.
- Guaranteed accommodation to all UK, EU and international first-year students when the necessary deadlines are met.
- All sites have in-room Wi-Fi, and are located within 1 mile of the campus. The price includes bills (except TV and laundry).
- Options range from studio apartments to shared flats or houses, with en suite options available.
- There are residential support assistants on hand who work alongside the Accommodation team to provide support and advice.
- York St John has multiple accessible accommodation sites with rooms that can be adapted to the needs of the student.
Accommodation costs 2019/2020
£100- £162 per week
- With over 60 sports clubs and societies, students are sure to find something that will suit their interests.
- Weekly events are held at the Students' Union such as live performances, quiz nights, karaoke and live sports events.
- The SU helps students to embrace all that student life has to offer, and is the collective voice of students at York St John.
- University accommodation sites are located within 1 mile of campus, with many of them close to town.
- York has an extensive network of off-road cycle paths, on-road cycle lanes and over 1,000 cycle parking facilities.
- There are bus routes throughout the city that provide regular transport to and around York and beyond.
- Train lines to other major cities run from York train station, including London, Leeds, Edinburgh and Newcastle.
- Leeds Bradford is the closest airport. There is also a direct train line from Manchester Airport.
- Flexible job opportunities are available on campus. Become a student ambassador, Student Services representative and more.
- Student employment fairs are held on campus where students can talk to a range of local employers to find a job to suit them.
- In a major tourist city such as York, there are lots of unique part-time job opportunities such as bars, cafés and retail.
Whatuni student ratings
What do students say?
University reviews collected by whatuni.com. Discover what students say about their experience at this university.
95th / 131 universities
COURSE & LECTURERS4.0
67th / 131 universities
56th / 98 universities
56th / 131 universities