University College of Estate Management
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
When you enrol on a UCEM programme we will provide you with the resources you need to build your knowledge and abilities.
- These are made available online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which hosts a comprehensive e-library and study support materials.
Your journey starts with the pre-course induction module, where you will be able to meet other students and prepare yourself for your studies.
- As you progress, learning resources for each module will be made available on the VLE and supplemented where necessary with textbooks.
- Each step takes you closer to your chosen career.
What Qualifications Can I get?
- Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) in Surveying Practice
- BSc Building Surveying
- BSc Construction Management
- BSc Estate Management
- BSc Property Management
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- MSc Building Surveying
- MSc Quantity Surveying
- MSc Construction Management
- MSc Real Estate
- MBA Construction & Real Estate
Prior Qualifications Needed
- Please refer to the individual course pages on our website for the entry requirements.
What Can I Study?
- We offer a range of qualifications – Certificate BSc, MSc and MBA – in property and construction related subjects.
- Please refer to the individual course pages on our website for the various course structures.
How to Apply
- It’s simple and it’s fast. Apply online. The Admissions Team will send you an email acknowledgement of your application. As soon as you’ve been accepted for the course, we’ll send you details of what to do next.
The University College of Estate Management (UCEM) is the leading provider of supported online learning for the real estate and construction industries. Its programmes are recognised and accredited by professional bodies including RICS, CIOB and CABE, with accredited degree programmes providing a route to professional membership. Programme modules allow students to specialise for their chosen career pathway, with flexible, accessible and cost-effective education that fits around work and personal commitments.
UCAS Code: E76
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Provisional is awarded to institutions that meet "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK, but which do not currently have enough data to be fully assessed. Institutions must opt in for this award. Find out more about TEF.
Student Services and Facilities
- UCEM’s e-Library (accessed through the Virtual Learning Environment) is a comprehensive and valuable online resource, enabling students to access a wealth of subject-specific and credible information to support them throughout their studies.
- Students have access to over 2,000 full-text journals, over 1,000 useful weblinks to e-resources, and online searchable databases from 15 key industry-specific and educational sources. A discovery service allows students to search all the UCEM library services and e-resources in one place.
- Other resources include UCEM published research, access to a monthly e-bulletin, a dissertation and work-based project library and archive, plus reading lists, bibliographies and literature reviews.
- Students and alumni can view details of employers' current vacancies at UCEM's Job Shop. UCEM is committed to supporting its students and alumni and the careers service helps them to make the most of their degree.
- UCEM provides high quality careers advice and guidance to all prospective and current students and also recent graduates (for up to three years after graduation). Careers support is delivered in a professional, impartial and accessible way, to equip students and graduates with the skills and knowledge to effectively choose and manage their careers.
- The Service aims to coach and facilitate students in achieving their career goals. It works with students to identify which career will suit them, helping to develop a career action plan. It helps students identify the skills they need to develop and progress in their career – and how they will develop them. It also facilitates access to staff who can advise them and provide access to relevant up to date information on careers.
- To achieve this, coaching resources are provided on the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), with guidance on topics such as: networking, preparing a CV and understanding career motivations. A careers and employability adviser can be contacted for impartial and confidential advice; and an online Job Shop features a wide range of job opportunities and placements.
- UCEM knows that each person’s disability can affect them in different ways, so the support it offers is flexible and tailored to each individual. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the university so that it can discuss meeting their individual needs.
- Please refer to the university website for more information.
- Since its foundation in 1919 UCEM has helped over 150,000 people around the world to progress their careers through study. Globally, at any one time, over 3,500 individuals are studying its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- In 2012, UCEM was awarded Taught Degree Awarding Powers (TDAP) which came into effect in 2013. Its programmes, formerly taught through correspondence, transitioned to being taught wholly through supported online learning.
- In 2015, UCEM was awarded university college status by the UK Government and the Privy Council, becoming University College of Estate Management.
- The University College of Estate Management recently introduced a Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship, where participants study an MBA Construction and Real Estate online while developing management and leadership skills in the workplace.
The College of Estate Management (CEM) has achieved university college title and has become University College of Estate Management (UCEM). The achievement of university college title acknowledges the college’s status in its provision of offering online vocational education for the Built Environment industry.
Established in 1919, University College of Estate Management remains the leading provider of vocational education for the real estate and construction sectors. Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees are all accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and or The Chartered Institute of Building.
- Whilst our courses have changed over the years, our commitment to our students remains firm. We are passionate about the student experience and this is reflected in the outstanding feedback that we receive, year on year, from our students.
- We teach all our courses online so you can learn when, where and how you want to, without interrupting your career.
- Our approach to online learning gives you the freedom and support to balance study, work and home commitments whilst working towards your career goals.
- Our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) allows you to form networks across the globe and to discuss and deliberate current issues. Our faculty combines academic strength with practitioner knowledge and understanding, and we are fully committed to teaching our students.
Why study with us
- To be offered a route to membership for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) or the Chartered Institute of Builders (MCIOB).
- The opportunity to learn whilst you’re earning.
- We offer excellent value for money – student loans and bursaries also available.
- We have over 90 years’ experience and are highly respected in the sectors.
- We offer great student support.
All our courses are designed to develop academic knowledge which benefits your workplace experience and has a positive impact on your professional life.
Our courses are accredited by professional bodies, helping you to become a member of organisations such as the RICS, CIOB, CABE and others.
- Visit our website and take a look at what we can offer you.
Within the Real Estate & Construction sectors there are many diverse career opportunities for those with the determination to succeed and the qualifications to back it up. With a qualification in Construction and Real Estate you could work in one of these areas:
- Appraisal, agency and building management.
- Building construction and surveying.
- Construction management.
- Estate and property management.
- Finance, investment and development.
- Quantity surveying and cost management.
- Rural practice.
Surveying, for example, covers a wide range of activities. Look around you. Buildings everywhere; old, new, for living in, working in, learning, eating, swimming, shopping... the human environment is built.
- Surveyors perform a critical role in making this environment happen – planning and designing it, maintaining and restoring it, creating an environment that makes better lives possible – one that supports the needs of the human race.
A career within the built environment offers:
- Variety – no two days are the same, you could be travelling overseas to another office or on a site meeting with a client.
- Reputation – as a Chartered Surveyor your expertise is regarded in the same way as that of a doctor or lawyer.
- Job satisfaction – you can accomplish many things whether it be helping someone buy their first home, or working on a major construction project such as the Olympic Park.
- Life-long career – with the constant need for new infrastructure, Construction and Property professionals are always in demand.
- Salary – working as a Chartered Surveyor, you can earn above average salaries, with a RICS Member earning an average of £48,000.
What do I need to get on a course?
- Entry requirements will vary depending on the course; course specific information regarding entry requirements can be found on the relevant course page within the prospectus and online at the website.
- Should your qualifications fall below those required, the UCEM Admissions Committee will judge your application on merit. Satisfying the minimum conditions for entry does not automatically guarantee acceptance on a course.
- You can apply for UCEM's certificate, degree or postgraduate courses online. The application form linked to each course will guide you through the process.
For your application the following links may be useful:
University College of Estate Management, Horizons , 60 Queen’s Road, Reading , RG1 4BS