University College of Estate Management
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
When you enrol on a UCEM diploma or degree course we will provide you with the resources you need to build your knowledge and abilities.
- These are made available online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which hosts a comprehensive e-library and study support materials.
Your journey starts with the pre-course induction module, where you will be able to meet other students and prepare yourself for your studies.
- As you progress, learning resources for each module will be made available on the VLE and supplemented where necessary with textbooks.
- Each step takes you closer to your chosen career.
What Qualifications Can I get?
- Foundation Degree in Surveying Practice
- The Diploma of Higher Education Surveying Practice
- Foundation Degree in Construction Practice
- The Diploma of Higher Education Construction Practice
- BSc Building Surveying
- BSc Construction Management
- BSc Estate Management
- BSc Property Management
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- MSc Building Surveying
- MSc Quantity Surveying
- MSc Construction Management
- MSc Real Estate
- MBA Construction & Real Estate
Prior Qualifications Needed
- Please refer to the individual course pages on our website for the entry requirements.
What Can I Study?
- We offer a range of qualifications form Foundation Degree and Diploma up to MBA, in property and construction related subjects.
- Please refer to the individual course pages on our website for the various course structures.
How to Apply
- It’s simple and it’s fast. Apply online. The Admissions Team will send you an email acknowledgement of your application. As soon as you’ve been accepted for the course, we’ll send you details of what to do next.
UCEM are the leading provider of supported online learning of degree programmes in the Built Environment. Our programmes are designed for Real Estate and Construction professionals
Our programmes are recognised and accredited by professional bodies including RICS, CIOB and CABE, our accredited degree programmes provide a route to professional membership. UCEM programmes offer a range of modules that allow you to choose your area of specialism to support of your chosen career pathway.
- 96 UCAS tariff points. National Certificates and National Diplomas will be considered but must have good merit and distinction profiles (excluding common skills).
- Any HNCs and HNDs will be considered.
- OR Completed an Advanced Apprenticeship in Surveying or an Advanced Apprenticeship in Construction Technical.
- OR a current Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Associate qualification (AssocRICS) and be in relevant employment.
- Mathematics Grade C or above at GCSE or equivalent (Grade 4 for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England)
And one of the following:
- Grade C or above in English (Language or Literature) at GCSE or its equivalent (Grade 4 for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England)
- Grade 5.5 or above, with at least 5.0 in the reading, writing and listening modules, in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test administered by the British Council in the Social Sciences academic module
- 79 or above in the Internet option, 213 or above in the computer-based option or 550 or above in the paper-based option, of the Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test
- Grade C or above in Use of English at A/S Level
- Technological advances mean there has never been a better time to continue your education through online learning. We’re always exploring alternative media and new, interactive ways to learn. We continually invest in our online facilities to enhance our teaching resources, tools and techniques through our online Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- The VLE is the gateway to your learning journey and our global learning community. You can access the VLE on your mobile device, tablet or laptop wherever you are.
- The VLE contains your structured weekly learning for each module. Learning materials are provided through a variety of media ranging from e-textbooks, videos, infographics through to interactive e-learning resources which can support your study both on and offline. Join the conversation and hear a variety of perspectives and opinions – an essential part of gaining the widest range of insights you can take with you into the world of work.
- Our online guidance from highly experienced tutors helps you to make the most of your learning experience, and our dedicated professional services team provide regular support and information.
- Through the VLE, you can access our e-library giving you access to ebooks, journals, articles and other online resources that you will need throughout your study with us.
- Online learning with UCEM allows you the flexibility to pick and choose when and where you study as long as you have a computer, tablet or smartphone and access to the internet. You will usually study two modules concurrently a semester but you have the flexibility to slow this down or pick up the pace if your circumstances change.
Student Services and Facilities
- The staff at UCEM strongly believe in providing students with all the support they need to complete their studies, and we are with you every step of the way. Our academic staff are on hand to provide the guidance and support you need to complete your coursework and prepare for your exams.
- ‘Student Central’ is the main online area that as a student you will go to for all the queries you may have that are related to Student Services, including Finance, IT and the e-Library. Student Advisers will respond to all queries received within two working days, and if the answer to your question will take more than two days the team will keep you updated on what is happening, you will have your own area within Student Central where you can see all the questions that you have asked whilst you have been studying with UCEM. There is also an FAQ section that contains over 400 FAQs, so you can find answers to common queries.
- We provide you with the resources and tools you need to build your knowledge and skills. These are made available online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which hosts a comprehensive e-library and study support materials
We know that each person’s disability can affect them in different ways so the support we offer is flexible and tailored to each individual. We encourage all students with disabilities to contact us so that we can discuss meeting their individual needs. For more information, please visit our website.
UCEM provides high quality careers advice and guidance to all prospective and current students and also recent graduates. We are committed to delivering this in a professional, impartial and accessible way, and aim to equip our students and graduates with the skills and knowledge to effectively choose and manage their careers.
The Service aims to:
- Coach and facilitate you in achieving your career goals
- Work with you to identify which career will suit you and to help you develop a career action plan
- Help you to identify the skills you need to develop and progress in your career and plan how you will develop them
- Facilitate your access to staff that can advise you and provide access to relevant up to date information on careers
To achieve this we provide coaching resources on the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), with guidance on topics such as: networking, preparing your CV and understanding your career motivations. We have a Careers and Employability Advisor who you can contact for impartial and confidential advice. We also have an online Job Shop where employers advertise a wide range of job opportunities and placements.
The Careers service is offered to all prospective and current students and Alumni up to three years after graduation.
The UCEM careers service supports students and alumni up to 3 years after graduation.
- Since our foundation in 1919 we’ve helped over 150,000 people around the world to progress their careers through study. Globally, at any one time, we have over 3,500 individuals studying our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- In 2012, we were awarded Taught Degree Awarding Powers (TDAP) which came into effect in 2013, meaning we could award our own degrees. Our programmes, formerly taught through correspondence, transitioned to being taught wholly through supported online learning.
- In 2015, we were awarded University College status by the UK Government and the Privy Council, and we changed our name from The College of Estate Management to University College of Estate Management.
The College of Estate Management (CEM) has achieved university college title and has become University College of Estate Management (UCEM). The achievement of university college title acknowledges the college’s status in its provision of offering online vocational education for the Built Environment industry.
Established in 1919, University College of Estate Management remains the leading provider of vocational education for the real estate and construction sectors. Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees are all accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and or The Chartered Institute of Building.
- Whilst our courses have changed over the years, our commitment to our students remains firm. We are passionate about the student experience and this is reflected in the outstanding feedback that we receive, year on year, from our students.
- We teach all our courses online so you can learn when, where and how you want to, without interrupting your career.
- Our approach to online learning gives you the freedom and support to balance study, work and home commitments whilst working towards your career goals.
- Our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) allows you to form networks across the globe and to discuss and deliberate current issues. Our faculty combines academic strength with practitioner knowledge and understanding, and we are fully committed to teaching our students.
Why study with us
- To become a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) or The Chartered Institute of Builders (MCIOB).
- The opportunity to learn whilst you’re earning.
- We offer excellent value for money – student loans and bursaries also available.
- We have over 90 years’ experience and are highly respected in the sectors.
- We offer great student support.
All our courses are designed to develop academic knowledge which benefits your workplace experience and has a positive impact on your professional life.
Our courses are accredited by professional bodies, helping you to become a member of organisations such as the RICS, CIOB, CABE and others.
- Visit our website and take a look at what we can offer you.
- The Diploma of Higher Education Surveying Practice.
- Foundation Degree Surveying Practice.
- The Diploma of Higher Education Construction Practice.
- Foundation Degree Construction Practice.
- BSc (Hons) Building Surveying.
- BSc (Hons) Construction Management.
- BSc (Hons) Real Estate Management.
- BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying.
- MSc Building Surveying.
- MSc Construction Management.
- MSc Quantity Surveying.
- MSc Real Estate.
- MBA Construction and Real Estate.
Within the Real Estate & Construction sectors there are many diverse career opportunities for those with the determination to succeed and the qualifications to back it up. With a qualification in Construction and Real Estate you could work in one of these areas:
- Appraisal, agency and building management.
- Building construction and surveying.
- Construction management.
- Estate and property management.
- Finance, investment and development.
- Quantity surveying and cost management.
- Rural practice.
Surveying, for example, covers a wide range of activities. Look around you. Buildings everywhere; old, new, for living in, working in, learning, eating, swimming, shopping... the human environment is built.
- Surveyors perform a critical role in making this environment happen – planning and designing it, maintaining and restoring it, creating an environment that makes better lives possible – one that supports the needs of the human race.
A career within the built environment offers:
- Variety – no two days are the same, you could be travelling overseas to another office or on a site meeting with a client.
- Reputation – as a Chartered Surveyor your expertise is regarded in the same way as that of a doctor or lawyer.
- Job satisfaction – you can accomplish many things whether it be helping someone buy their first home, or working on a major construction project such as the Olympic Park.
- Life-long career – with the constant need for new infrastructure, Construction and Property professionals are always in demand.
- Salary – working as a Chartered Surveyor, you can earn above average salaries, with a RICS Member earning an average of £48,000.
What do I need to get on a course?
- Entry requirements will vary depending on the course; course specific information regarding entry requirements can be found on the relevant course page within the prospectus and online at www.ucem.ac.uk.
- Should your qualifications fall below those required, the UCEM Admissions Committee will judge your application on merit. Satisfying the minimum conditions for entry does not automatically guarantee acceptance on a course.
- You can apply for UCEM's diploma, degree or postgraduate courses online. The application form linked to each course will guide you through the process.
For your application the following links may be useful:
|Address||University College of Estate Management Horizons 60 Queen’s Road Reading RG1 4BS|