University for the Creative Arts
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University for the Creative Arts has over 5,500 students studying on more than 120 creative courses across four campuses in Surrey and Kent. Its courses offer a blend of creative arts, business and technology programmes to prepare students for a career in the creative industries.
UCAS Code: C93
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 94%
- Postgraduate 6%
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
Where students come from
- UK 87%
- EU 6%
- Other 7%
- Male 32%
- Female 68%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
- UCA's libraries provide students with access to over 270,000 electronic and print books and exhibition catalogues, over 12,000 electronic and print journals, over 300 metres of archival materials, a wide range of special collections and artists' books, 18,000 DVDs, videos, CDs and digital games, and over 8,000 TV and film broadcasts online.
- Learning Development tutors help students to develop skills and are available for individual tutorials on request. Learning and Teaching Librarians also provide tailored workshops, seminars and tutorials to support students with their assignments.
- UCA's libraries also offer a Specialist Adviser on each campus, Careers and Employability services, designated members of staff for care leavers, a counselling service and the Disability and Specific Learning Differences team.
- The location of campuses within towns gives excellent access to part-time work with local businesses, as well as to larger companies based in London for placements and work experience.
- The Careers team update the website with the latest part-time roles, internships and placement opportunities.
- Workshops and presentations on professional development, along with one-to-one confidential guidance service at every UCA campus.
- Dedicated careers library at every university library and up-to-date careers information, graduate vacancies, residencies, competitions and events on the website.
- Practical business advice and guidance to support new creative enterprises and ongoing support to graduates for up to three years.
- UCA offers local information for each of its four campuses to help students register with a local doctor and dentist and to check that students' vaccinations are up-to-date.
- UCA has a health and safety induction process for all students to ensure their safety and wellbeing on their course and on campus.
- UCA holds health and well-being events throughout the academic year on topics such as sexual health, healthy eating and mental health.
- UCA offers a dedicated Counselling Service to its students. Located at UCA's four main campuses, professional counsellors provide free-of-charge, confidential support to students facing a wide variety of personal concerns.
- UCA offers advice, information and support on mental health throughout the student journey.
- The Disability and Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) Team offers advice and coordinates support for students with disabilities and specific learning differences, including dyslexia, dyspraxia, Asperger Syndrome, mental health difficulties, mobility difficulties, visual impairment, and deafness or partial hearing.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Other services and facilities
- UCA Student Services include advice and support for student finance, care leavers, counselling, disability and SpLD, health and well-being, international student support and library services. All services are accessed through UCA's Gateway team.
- There are extensive academic facilities across all campuses including film and TV production studios, animation suites, virtual reality labs, 3D printing and laser cutting, digital and analogue photography suites, traditional crafts facilities and a bronze foundry.
- Student amenities include on-site art shops, galleries, bars and cafés.
- Free Wi-Fi is available across all four campuses.
- The award-winning Students' Union operates across all four campuses offering support in many aspects of academic and social life with a wide range of special events for students throughout the year.
- Students' Union activities include Freshers' events, comedy nights, club nights, pool competitions, karaoke, quizzes and sports challenges.
- Clubs and societies cover a wide range of interests, including illustration, photography, LGBTQ+, games, netball, basketball, cheerleading, rugby, and dance.
- With a heritage stretching back over 160 years, the university was formed from the merger of The Surrey Institute of Art & Design and the Kent Institute of Art & Design, with campuses in Farnham, Epsom, Canterbury and Rochester. It also runs courses from Maidstone TV Studios and the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court Palace, as well as a portfolio of distance learning programmes through the Open College of the Arts.
- The institution was awarded full university status by the Privy Council in 2008. Dame Zandra Rhodes was installed as the first Chancellor in 2010, succeeded by Professor Magdalene Odundo OBE in 2018.
- Some of UCA's most well-known alumni include the director of Star Wars: Rogue One, Gareth Edwards, fashion designer Dame Zandra Rhodes, artist Tracey Emin and Peppa Pig creator, Mark Baker.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Arnold Schwartzman OBE RDI – Oscar-winning filmmaker and designer.
- Tracey Emin RA – artist.
- Gareth Edwards – Hollywood film director.
- Mark Baker – BAFTA-winning animator and creator of Peppa Pig.
- Dame Zandra Rhodes CBE RDI – Fashion designer.
- Stephen Webster MBE – jewellery designer.
- PJ Ligouri – YouTube star.
- Daniel Greaves – Oscar-winning animator.
- Kathryn Sargent – first ever female Master Tailor on Savile Row.
- William McGregor – BAFTA-winning film director.
UCA Farnham, Falkner Road, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 7DS