- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of South Wales is one of the UK's largest universities; set in a beautiful and friendly location with easy access to cities, it's a popular choice with students from across the world. With teaching excellence in subject areas ranging from drama and music to business and computer science, and from engineering to education, the employability rates of its graduates are excellent. It offers competitively-priced courses, many with both September and February intakes.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
3,825 international students in 2017–18
- The university recommends that international students fly into Cardiff Wales Airport if possible, from where the university offers a free taxi service (by prior arrangement) to take students to their accommodation.
- Prior to the course induction week, the university hosts an International Arrival Week. This orientation and social programme is designed specifically for international students, and includes trips, parties, events, activities and information sessions to help students adjust to living and learning in the UK, and make new friends.
English Language Requirements
- GCSE pass in English at grade C or above.
- Most of the university's academic programmes require an IELTS with an average overall score of 6.0 with at least a 5.5 in each component.
- Students who do not meet these requirements are able to undertake a pre-sessional English course at the university. Please note, a UKVI Secure English Language Test (IELTS) is required for students applying for a Tier 4 visa to undertake a pre-sessional English language course.
Accommodation for International Students
- All international students who have firmly accepted their offer are given an option to book on-campus accommodation; early acceptance of an offer means that first choice accommodation is more likely to be available.
- Whether students want to live on campus or nearby, the Accommodation Office will help them with arrangements.
- University-owned accommodation is available on the Treforest campus, while private halls of residence are located close to Cardiff and Newport City campuses. A variety of on-campus accommodation is available, all self-catered – although students can purchase meal vouchers to use in the university refectories and food outlets. High-speed Internet is available in all rooms and most rooms have Wi-Fi access.
- Students are able to express a preference on their accommodation booking forms. If they wish to live with other international students or students of the same nationality, the university will try to facilitate this.
- Students are able to stay on campus during the winter and spring holidays and are not required to vacate their rooms during these vacations.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of South Wales offers an attractive package of scholarships for international students; please refer to the university website for details.
- In addition to standard support services that all students can access, international students can also contact a team of friendly and helpful advisors in the Immigration and International Student Advice team.