Coronavirus (Covid-19) updates

Coronavirus (Covid-19) updates

Catch up with the latest exam and university application information

Postgraduate Student Loans in the UK

Postgraduate student loans, also known simply as 'postgraduate loans' or 'master's loans' are now available throughout the UK. However, there are different amounts and different rules for eligibility, depending on whether you are studying at postgraduate level in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.  

Student finance postgraduate loan

Students should apply for a postgraduate or master's loan from the nation in which they 'normally reside,' i.e. where you usually live. If you moved there to study, that doesn't count – unless you stayed on after your degree to work.

Each nation offers different amounts of loan, which may be simply a postgraduate tuition fee loan, or also cover living costs. In some cases the loan may not be enough to cover the cost of the tuition fee a university may charge. In this case, you'll need to fund the remaining amount yourself using either your own money, or by seeking alternative postgraduate funding.

Apart from in Wales, postgraduate loans do not take your household income into account. In Wales, you'll still get the same amount of funding, but your income determines whether this is in the form of a grant (which doesn't need to be repaid) or a loan (which does).

In all cases, you are eligible to repay a postgraduate loan from the April after your course finishes, but only if your earnings are over a certain amount.

Find out about postgraduate funding in your area

The main determining factor in deciding which funding body to apply to is where you are primarily resident. If you normally live in England, you should read our guide to master's loans in England, and so on.

Use the links below to find the postgraduate loan guide for you: