Tuition fee loans and financial support – if you come from England

This is an outline of what is available for students from England for 2017-18 entry. Check to find the exact dates, cost of fees and financial support available on university and student funding websites.

Note: To classify as an English student, you will normally need to have lived in England for the three years before the start of your course. If you are unsure whether this is you, please see our information on eligibility.

Click to skip to:
University tuition fees  Tuition fee loans Funding your living costs
Extra funding • Repaying your student loan

London St Pauls

University tuition fees

Universities in the UK can charge up to £9,250 a year for undergraduate tuition. You will not have to pay for this upfront.

Tuition fee loans

If you are planning on attending a UK university, you apply online to Student Finance England for a loan of up to £9,250. This will cover your tuition fees. The loan is not means tested.

There is a deadline for applications to Student Finance England, usually around late spring. This is so the Student Loans Company (SLC) can pay your tuition fees to your university for the beginning of your course.

Funding your living costs

You can apply online to Student Finance England for a means-tested maintenance loan, to help with living costs.

There are different amounts of maintenance loan available. This depends on household income, and where you will live during term-time.

Alternatively, you can apply for a non-means-tested loan. If you do this, the amount available will be lower.

If you:You can receive:
Live at home Up to £7,097
Live away from home and study in London Up to £11,002
Live away from home and study outside of London (including Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales) Up to £8,430
Live and study abroad for at least one term as part of your course (including Ireland) Up to £9,654

There is a deadline for applications to Student Finance England, usually around late spring. This is to guarantee funds are in place for the beginning of your course. The latest you can apply is nine months after the first day of the academic year of your course. The loan is paid into your bank account at the start of each term, once you’ve registered on your course.

Extra funding

You may be able to get a bursary, scholarship or award from your university or college, which you do not have to pay back.

Further support may be available if you meet a particular set of criteria. For instance, if you are a single parent, or you are leaving care to enter higher education. Extra help is also available if you have a disability, learning difficulty or mental health problems. Read more about other financial support.

Repaying your loans

Loan repayments begin from the April after you have left your course. You repay a percentage of your income when you are earning over a certain amount. See more about repaying your loan.

English Language Courses

Come and learn English in the UK — find out about English language courses and where you can study.

Email Newsletter

Sign up to our monthly e-update for hints and tips on your university application, direct to your inbox.


Tweets by @CompUniGuide

CompUniGuide on Instagram