- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE Bristol) is one of the largest providers of higher education in South West England. There has been strong emphasis over the years on building close partnerships with businesses and organisations locally, nationally and internationally.
UCAS Code: B80
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 75%
- Postgraduate 25%
Mode of study
- Full Time 75%
- Part Time 25%
Where students come from
- UK 87%
- EU 3%
- Other 10%
- Male 44%
- Female 56%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- Learning facilities include a 24-hour computer laboratory and extensive campus libraries.
- The Students' Union Job Shop can help students find the right job to fit around their studies. Around 4,000 part-time jobs are advertised through Job Shop every year. They also offer job hunting tips and advice on employment rights, tax, and national insurance.
- Over 200 students undertake internships funded by UWE Bristol every year.
- With its booming economy, Bristol is a fantastic city to find part-time and casual work, from working in a shop or bar to office jobs.
- Students at UWE Bristol can access the Careers Service to get into the best position for their future career.
- The Careers Service offers a wide range of online tools and resources including CV and cover letter writing, job hunting, interview simulator, psychometric tests, personality tests, literacy and numeracy tests, e-learning tools, written advice and videos from employers.
- Students are invited to attend careers events including recruitment fairs, employer presentations and careers skills workshops throughout the year.
- Students have access to the Careers Service for up to three years after leaving, providing support to graduates early in their career.
- Support is available for students with disabilities, mental health conditions, medical conditions and Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD).
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Other services and facilities
- Specialist course facilities include, a mock courtroom, a nursing simulation suite, multimedia broadcast studios, forensic crime scene house, wind tunnel, flight simulator, financial trading room and more. Everything students need for their studies is covered.
- Social facilities include an on-campus cinema and a Centre for Performing Arts, as well as bars, shops and cafés.
- The UWE Bristol Students' Union is run for students by students, offering opportunities, help to build their community and representing students' voice during their time at university.
- Students can join over 180 different sports clubs, societies, community networks and get involved in lots of different volunteer activities. There really is something for everyone.
- Every UWE Bristol campus has a Students' Union-run bar. It’s the perfect place to get together with friends and chill after a busy day of studying.
- In 1595, the Bristol Society of Merchant Venturers' Navigation School was founded.
- In 1969, Bristol Polytechnic was founded. Granted university status in 1992, it became the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol).
- Students from the UWE Bristol are developing a fully electric-powered glider; initially battery powered they plan for the glider to generate its own energy through wing-mounted solar panels.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Woon Bing Chang – worked on Life of Pi.
- Angellica Bell – TV and radio presenter.
- Silas Adekunle – founder of Reach Robotics.
- Nathan Filer – author of The Shock of the Fall, winner of Costa Book Award.
- Pete Reed – Olympic rower.
- Teo Nie Ching – Malaysian politician.
University of the West England, Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol, BS16 1QY