University of the West of Scotland
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- A five-campus university, with campuses in Ayr, Dumfries, Hamilton and Paisley and a new campus in London.
- Six academic schools offering undergraduate, postgraduate and research study.
- Career-focused programmes, designed in partnership with business and industry, with professional recognition and practical experience options.
- 94% of UWS graduates in work or further study six months after graduating.
- Top in the UK for student satisfaction in a range of subjects in the National Student Survey 2015.
- 4* rating in the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2015.
- World-leading and internationally excellent research (Research Exercise Framework 2014).
- Awarded highest possible rating for quality and standards in the 2014 Enhancement-Led Institutional Review.
- Our Students' Association SAUWS won NUS Scotland’s HE Students’ Association of the Year award in 2016.
- Excellent travel links from across the UK and further afield.
- Organisations for international students.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- For the majority of courses, UWS requires an IELTS of 6.0 with no component less than 5.5.
- However, some courses such as nursing may require higher IELTS score of 7.0.
- UWS offer English language courses for students looking to gain a higher level of English before progressing onto a degree programme.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- International Scholarship £2,000 (UG and PG, all intakes)
- Merit Based Scholarship £1,500 (UG and PG, all intakes)
- International Research Excellence £3,500 PhD (all intakes)
- International Accommodation £1,000 (UG and PG, all intakes)
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Students will receive a pre-departure guide by email to help prepare them for living and studying in Scotland.
Accommodation for International Students
- UWS accommodation is an affordable and great way for international students to meet new people, make new friends, and gain some independence.