University of the West of Scotland
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
University of the West of Scotland (UWS) is a dynamic, modern university that ensures its graduates are ready to meet the demands of their chosen profession. The university's four West of Scotland campuses are within easy reach of some of Scotland's most amazing scenery, as well as close to the exciting cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh; and the UWS London campus is in the heart of one of the world's most bustling cities.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
1,830 international students in 2017–18
- UWS offers plenty of support to prepare students for their time at the university, throughout their education and after they graduate.
- A welcome guide is available for each campus for students preparing to study with UWS.
- A dedicated team of international student advisors helps make the transition to student life in Scotland as smooth as possible and can help with a variety of matters prior to, and for the duration of students time in the UK.
- This includes help with immigration and visa enquiries, information on working in the UK, finance, welfare and health benefits, and support for student's well-being.
- The service also provides information for students whose relatives wish to visit.
English Language Requirements
- Most courses require IELTS 6.0 overall, with no component less than 5.5; some courses – such as nursing – may require IELTS 7.0 overall. Please refer to the university website for details.
- UWS offer English language courses for students looking to gain a higher level of English before progressing onto a degree programme.
Accommodation for International Students
- Non-EU students paying the full fee who have applied by the relevant deadline will have accommodation reserved for a 38-week contract or, if studying for one trimester, for 16 or 17 weeks.
- Students aged under 18 or with disabilities are prioritised.
Bursaries and Scholarships
Please refer to the university website for details of all scholarships available; below is a selection.
- Global Scholarships (120 available) offered to undergraduate international applicants who achieve academic excellence of 65% or higher in the High School/College exams.
- Postgraduate fee offer: 10% tuition fee discount for self-funded (non-EU) students who wish to progress from undergraduate to postgraduate study at UWS.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.