Wigan and Leigh College
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Wigan & Leigh College has been providing high-quality education and training locally for over 150 years. It is the only general Further Education College in the towns of Wigan and Leigh, serving a population of approximately 310,000.
UCAS Code: W67
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Student Services and Facilities
- The Advice & Progression Team offers support to students. Students can book appointments with advisers, receive guidance when making decisions about a future course or career route, help identifying any skills or research and planning required to support career ambitions, advice on course application forms, support with job searches, CVs, letters, job applications, funding and welfare advice, sign-posting to internal and external support agencies.
- Students may have a confidential assessment with one of the Additional Learning Support Officers.
- Learning support assistants provide support in and outside of the classroom. They help with note taking, organisational skills, reinforcing the class tutor’s instruction, adapting materials, mobility issues and personal care needs.
- Learning support tutors are fully trained staff with specialist qualifications. They are experienced in assessing and supporting students with a wide range of difficulties including dyslexia, dyspraxia, Asperger’s Syndrome and students with mental health issues.
- Specialist equipment and software is available on loan to students. There is a trained team who assess students’ technology requirements. These range from low tech aids through to high tech equipment and specialist software.
- The Additional Learning Support Team also works with teaching staff to organise access arrangements for examinations and assignments and help students apply for Disabled Student’s Allowance (Higher Education).
- The Additional Learning Support Team is based in Parson’s Walk Centre, Wigan. Call: 01942 761887 or 01942 761849, email: email@example.com.
- Students at Wigan and Leigh College are automatically a part of the College's Students' Union.
- There are student officers in place at each of the five Centres to help students feel supported in college. The officers are helped by the Students' Union Co-ordinator, Christina Donovan, who leads on the Union's key projects including sustainability.
- Wigan and Leigh College was formed in April 1992 through the merger of Wigan College of Technology (formerly Wigan Mining and Technical College) and Leigh College.
Wigan and Leigh College, PO Box 53, Parson's Walk, Wigan, WN1 1RS