The University of Winchester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.08 / 5.00
- 2.32 / 4.00
- 0.30 / 1.00
- 60.9 / 100.0
- 76.7 / 100.0
- 88.0 / 100.0
Winchester's passion is to provide students with a university experience aimed at helping them reach their full potential and make a difference in the world. Winchester has been voted the best city in the UK (Halifax Quality of Life Survey 2016) and the beautiful campus is just a 10-minute walk from Winchester city centre. The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate study on a range of subjects within the arts, humanities, social sciences, business, law, sport, education, and health and social care.
- Entry requirements vary depending on the programme of study. Please refer to the university website for details within the online prospectus, or by downloading a copy of the undergraduate prospectus.
- The majority of courses may be studied either full-time or part-time, and many courses offer a range of optional modules (subject to availability) allowing students to tailor their degree programme according to their interests.
- The university offers a number of well-established student exchange programmes giving students the chance to study abroad for a semester (there are shorter study abroad opportunities too).
- The university also offers a credit-bearing Volunteering module.
Student Services and Facilities
- Open 24/7 (hours may vary outside term time), the Library houses over 300,000 books as well as a huge digital library of academic journals, e-books and databases.
- Hundreds of PCs are provided for student use, some with 24-hour access, plus free laptop loans on a self-service basis for 24-hour use either on or off campus.
- The award-winning University Centre houses the Student Union, bookshop, Learning Café (with 24-hour PC access), Food Hall, Terrace Bar, The Lounge, Union Shop, and The Vault – the main campus venue for a myriad of social activities.
- There are specialised learning facilities featuring the latest industry-standard equipment for subjects such as archaeology, psychology and sport. Additionally, the Performing Arts Studios offer rehearsal and performance spaces across 6 studios. Learning and teaching facilities across campus feature the latest equipment and AV technology.
- There is a dedicated support team, part of Student Services, who work with students with a wide range of physical and sensory disabilities, medical conditions and learning differences.
- Winchester Student Union is located within the award-winning University Centre, the hub of social life on campus. It includes The Vault, a large club/gig space for 1,200 people with the capacity for tiered seating to host cinema nights, along with The Lounge and the Terrace Bar.
- Winchester Student Union offers over 100 sports teams and societies.
- The Vault in the Student Union has also won the national award for the Best Bar None three times, which recognises safe licensed venues.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The JobShop is the university's own jobs website which can help students search for part-time paid work while they study. Listings include vacation opportunities, full-time graduate job vacancies, placements, paid work experience, internships and a wide range of volunteering opportunities.
- The Careers Service provides support, advice and guidance to students during their studies and after graduation to help them secure their ideal job or postgraduate course.
- 1-to-1 or group sessions are available on, for example, CV preparation, applying for postgraduate courses and effective interview techniques.
- The service hosts a wide range of career and networking events each year so students can talk to recruiters and organisations face‑to‑face.
- Over 93% of students were in work or study 6 months after completing their course (Latest DLHE survey, 2014/15).
7,541 students in 2015–16:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 81%
- Postgraduate 19%
Mode of study
- Full Time 81%
- Part Time 19%
Where students come from
- UK 93%
- EU 1%
- Other 5%
- Male 32%
- Female 68%
- Founded in 1840, Winchester has 175 years experience of providing excellence in higher education.
- It first began as a teacher training school, but now its portfolio includes a range of courses within the arts, humanities, social sciences, business, law, sport, education, and health and social care.
- Martin Bashir – television journalist.
- Mike Bushell – sports presenter.
- Lauren Cohen – actress.
- Claire Fuller – author.
- Steve Furst – comedian, actor and writer.
- Nick Helm – comedian and actor.
- Shappi Khorsandi – comedian.
- Mark Lowry – author.
- Dirk Maggs – writer and director.
- Angus Scott – television presenter.
|Address||University of Winchester