The University of Winchester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Campus and Crime Map
- We aim to provide accommodation to all first year full-time undergraduates who hold Winchester as the their firm choice and apply by the deadline.
- Non-EU students and students with specific medical requirements are guaranteed on-campus accommodation throughout their study as long as they apply by the deadline.
- Internet access is included at no extra charge.
- The new 400-bed Queen's Road Student Village opened in September 2010. It is adjacent to the King Alfred Campus and the accommodation is arranged into cluster flats with shared kitchen facilities.
- The first phase of the new 500-bed Burma Road Student Village opened in September 2012 and is due to be fully completed for the 2013–14 intake.
King Alfred Campus
|Number of university/college beds||1,650|
|Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation*||£4,100–£5,300|
|Typical annual cost of private accommodation*||£4,500–£5,000|
Living in the City
- City Population: 116,600
- Student Population: 6,500
Winchester is a small, busy, ancient city located at the western end of the South Downs National Park. Its Cathedral, other historic buildings, monuments and museums are all within walking distance of each other. Jane Austen country is the city's backcloth, and, unsurprisingly, it is a popular tourist destination. Because of its architectural and historical interest, and its fast links to other towns and cities (just an hour from London Waterloo), Winchester has become one of the most expensive and desirable areas of the country. The city combines the best of city life with medieval history and beautiful countryside.
- Winchester has excellent transport links including a direct train service to London Waterloo which runs every 20 minutes during peak times.
- The station is also well-served by trains running to and from Southampton, Basingstoke, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Brighton, the New Forest and the north of England.
- The university is located close to the M3 which provides easy road access to the M25 and M27.
- Travelling to and from Heathrow and Gatwick airports is easy by both road and rail. Southampton Airport is located 15 minutes away by train and offers services within the UK, the Channel Islands and mainland Europe.
- The National Express coach service picks up from Winchester and serves various destinations across the UK.
- The university campus is just a 10-minute walk from the city centre.
Culture and Nightlife
- There is a strong café and restaurant culture in Winchester, as well as an array of award-winning bars and pubs.
- Winchester has held the Purple Flag award, which recognises that the city is a safe, enjoyable place for nights out.
- At the heart of the city’s cultural quarter is the Winchester Discovery Centre, with its programme of regular exhibitions in the Gallery and City Space. It offers performances and live entertainment including comedy shows, talks from renowned authors, concerts and theatre.
- The Edwardian Theatre Royal Winchester has been restored with a modern twist and plays host to an eclectic mix of drama, live music, dance and comedy.
- Winchester has an association football league and two recognised clubs, Winchester City FC. and Winchester Castle FC., as well as the Winchester City Woman FC.
- There is also a rugby union team, a thriving athletics club, and a successful hockey club.
- The university has the large Winchester Sports Stadium, as well as great facilities located on the King Alfred Campus, and the new university state-of-the-art gym.
- Winchester offers an array of unique, independent shops and boutiques as well as traditional and nationally-known stores.
- The high-street offers a bustling atmosphere with street performers and markets, while other more unusual shops are nestled along the cobbled streets that surround the cathedral, and tucked away along intriguing backstreets.
Proximity to City Centre
- Student life is centred in the King Alfred Campus, just a 15-minute walk to the city centre.
- The West Downs campus is a short away from the centre of the King Alfred Campus.