- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
York St John University supports students to embrace new opportunities and take on the world's challenges, through tailored learning built around their interests and ideas. Changing lives through education since 1841, its campus is just a stone's throw from York city walls, blending Victorian architecture with contemporary facilities. Students have all they need to push the boundaries of what's possible and achieve their aspirations.
UCAS Code: Y75
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Bronze is awarded to institutions that deliver teaching, learning and outcomes for their students that meet "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 87%
- Postgraduate 13%
Mode of study
- Full Time 92%
- Part Time 8%
Where students come from
- UK 95%
- EU 1%
- Other 4%
- Male 32%
- Female 68%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- Fountains Learning Centre is a superb resource for students. Open 24/7 during term time, the learning centre combines collaborative spaces with silent study areas so that however students like to study, there's a space to suit.
- Academic Liaison Librarians are always on hand to offer one-to-one research support.
- Students have access to PC and Mac desktop computers equipped with the latest specialist software, and can refuel and refresh at the onsite student kitchen.
- The university provides a range of support to help students find part-time work to suit them. The careers team also support students who are working, whether students need help changing jobs or with balancing paid work with university study.
- Flexible employment opportunities on campus include becoming a student ambassador or Student Services representative, and paid blogging and social media opportunities.
- Regular student employment fairs are held on campus, where students can talk to a wide range of local employers to find a job that suits them. The student opportunities team also source unique job opportunities from local businesses; and the online Jobs & Opportunities portal lists a wide variety of local paid job and volunteer opportunities.
- The LaunchPad team is dedicated to helping students feel clear about their career, with comprehensive career support for life. From employer events, LinkedIn and CV sessions, and mock interviews online and in person, to advice on further study and work experience opportunities, LaunchPad provides all students need to kick-start their career.
- As every person's career path is unique, LaunchPad takes a personal approach to create an individual employability journey for every student, tailored to their skills and aspirations, working with them to achieve their ambitions.
- Unique incentives take on the challenges of the changing workplace. A Grad2Director programme offers online development, expert one-to-one coaching and business start-up funding to help students launch their own business.
- Regular GP appointments and nurse-led clinics are available at the on-campus Health Centre.
- A number of health promotion campaigns run throughout the year to help student live a healthy life.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- The university offers plenty of support for well-being of students, recognising that being healthy, happy and accepted is key to being successful at university.
- An on-site Well-being team of psychological professionals provides free, confidential counselling, mental health support and welfare advice, should students need it. The chaplaincy service also offers a non-judgemental and confidential listening ear for students from all beliefs and of no faith.
- Students can access the online community Big White Wall, 24/7; moderated by psychological professionals this safe space enables students to say what's on their mind and get support for their mental health.
- York St John University is an inclusive environment, understanding that every student's requirements are different. The university's Disability Advice team offer tailored support to those who need it.
- A range of support covers many areas, including specialist equipment and software, mentoring support, one-to-one specialist tuition, specialist assistive technology training, extra time in exams and accessible rooms in accommodation.
Other services and facilities
- The university provides the latest technology, from the latest in virtual reality technology, 3D printing and recording spaces to the highest specification laboratory equipment. Believing in a campus environment where students can be their best and relax with friends, the university also provides a variety of coffee shops and communal areas around campus, exhibition spaces which regularly showcase student work, and award-winning outdoor spaces.
- The new London campus is located just minutes from the world famous Barbican Centre; throughout their degree, students have the option of taking part in talks, visits and industry led-skills modules. Some opportunities come as part of a course while others are open to all students.
- All students can access study development support on campus. From one-to-one tuition and small group tutorials to weekly Study for Success workshops and self-help resources, York St John equips students with the tools they need to prosper.
- A space to socialise, relax, and make change happen, the Students' Union (SU) is run by students for students. The SU represents all students and works to give them a strong voice and influence to shape life at York St John University.
- The SU building is the hub of life on campus. Located centrally it houses a cosy café and a beautiful bar, a place to study and relax with friends. Refurbished in 2016, it has a contemporary aesthetic which makes everyone feel at home.
- With over 60 sports clubs and societies, students are sure to find something to suit their interests. The SU supports all clubs and societies; if there's something missing they'll help students to start up their own society.
- York St John University has been changing lives through education since 1841, formally becoming York St John University in October 2006.
- The university's students have been graduating in York Minster, the largest Gothic cathedral in Northern Europe, since 1989.
- In 2018 York St John University opened the doors to its London campus, allowing students to supercharge their studies.
- Love chocolate? York has a proud confectionery history started by Terry's in in 1767. York is still home to Nestlé's headquarters and the sweet aroma of chocolate can be smelt on campus when the wind blows to the south.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Bella Hardy – folk singer who won BBC Radio 2’s Folk Singer of the Year Award in 2014.
- Harry Gration – popular television presenter for BBC Look North.
- Julia Davies – seven-time BAFTA TV Award-nominated actress, best known for roles in Nighty Night, Hunderby and Gavin & Stacey.
- Paul Blomfield – MP for Sheffield Central (2010–present).
- Scarlett Moffatt – television presenter and personality.
- Geoff Cooke OBE – former England rugby union manager whose team achieved Grand Slams in the 5 Nations Championship in 1991 and 1992 and won the 1992 World Cup Sevens.
- Jonathan Green – BAFTA-winning television producer.
- Nuala Ellwood – author.
York St John University, Lord Mayor’s Walk, York, YO31 7EX