- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
York St John University is located at the centre of historic York – York St John students graduate in the beautiful York Minster. Students from over 100 countries choose to come and study at the university, joining a close-knit and supportive community that pushes the boundaries of what's possible.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Bronze is awarded to institutions that deliver teaching, learning and outcomes for their students that meet "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
430 international students in 2017–18
- A dedicated International Support Team supports students from the time they first consider studying at the university until the day they graduate and beyond.
- The university offers a free airport pick-up service from Manchester Airport on select dates in September and January. Global Guides greet students, taking them to their accommodation where they help students settle in.
- A busy Welcome Week programme takes place at the start of each semester. The university helps students to arrange accommodation, open a bank account, register for healthcare and find their way around the campus and the city of York.
English Language Requirements
The general English language requirements are shown below, noting that some programmes may have higher minimum requirements. Please refer to the university website for details.
- IELTS Academic 6.0 overall (minimum of 5.5 in each component); or Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) 169 overall (no score below 162); or Pearson (PTE) 51 overall (minimum of 59 in any component). Other tests are accepted, please refer to the university website for details.
- Where a student has completed a bachelor's or master's degree in a majority English-speaking country, this may also be accepted.
- The university offers pre-sessional English courses to help students achieve the entry requirements.
Accommodation for International Students
- York St John University guarantees new undergraduate students a place in its accommodation in their first year of study, ensuring students have somewhere comfortable and safe to live.
- Across accommodation sites there is a choice of studio apartments, shared flats or houses. All sites are within a 20-minute walk of the main campus. 60% have en-suite bathrooms and all have Wi-Fi access.
- Each accommodation site also has live-in Residential Support Assistants (RSA). RSAs hold weekly drop-ins where students can speak about any issues they have, are available via telephone out-of-hours, and can also offer information on upcoming university events at the Students' Union.
Bursaries and Scholarships
Below is a selection of scholarships and bursaries for international students; please refer to the university website for details.
- The university's Aspire scheme is run in partnership with the John Smith Group; £100 is awarded to undergraduate students in their first or second year of study, with an extra £400 given to students from a widening participation background. The funds can be used to purchase items that will fuel students' learning, such as books and other specialised course materials. Please refer to the university website for details.
Proud to be a University of Sanctuary, the university welcomes students from culturally diverse backgrounds and offers scholarships for students who have sought refuge in the UK. This comprises a full tuition fee waiver, £1,000 per year towards the cost of study, and one-to-one personalised support.
- Personalised support is available to international students through the university's International Support team and Global Guides. Students can access professional advice, information and guidance, counselling and personal support, mental health and disability support, and money and welfare advice.
- Study development and language support is offered. Students are helped to identify ways to improve the quality of their academic work, learning strategies for study and writing. Language support ranges from one-to-one sessions to group workshops and short writing courses.
- With the university's Global Campus Trips programme, students can explore new and interesting places in the north of England, from the seaside at Whitby to the docks in Liverpool.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.