- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of York is a research-intensive institution and member of the Russell Group of universities; it provides outstanding teaching and learning to ensure students can prosper in life. Students are part of a diverse and supportive environment, set in a beautiful and historic European city with easy connections to the rest of the UK. The university's International Pathway College offers pre-degree courses to prepare students for entry to undergraduate or taught postgraduate courses.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
3,140 international students in 2017–18
- The university's Student Hub provides access to support services, as well as immigration advice to all international students, including exchange and visiting students.
- Collection by coach from Manchester airport is available at the start of the academic year and on other select dates. There is also a Welcome Week programme to help students to settle in and make friends.
- Students can take pre-sessional English language courses at the university's International Pathway College, and the Centre for Global Programmes hosts international conversation afternoons for all students, to help integration.
English Language Requirements
- English language requirements vary depending on the course. Please refer to the university website for details.
- Pre-sessional courses of 5–20 weeks run over spring and summer, helping international students meet the English language conditions required for entry to degree-level study. Some courses are specific to subjects students wish to study, across the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Engineering and Maths. There are also subject-specific courses for postgraduate Management degrees and postgraduate language teaching. Progression to academic studies depends on the successful completion of the pre-sessional course.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for full-time international students who meet the university's criteria and apply by the deadline, for all years of their course.
- The majority of accommodation is located on campus or within walking distance, and there is a choice of fully furnished and centrally-heated rooms, including en-suite options. All rooms have access to high-speed Internet. Some family and couple accommodation is also available.
- The college system offers a built-in community with a mix of students and nationalities, helping students make friends and settle into York and the UK.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The Vice Chancellor's Scholarship (five undergraduate and five postgraduate awards available): a £5,000 tuition fee discount for up to three years of an undergraduate course, or one year of a postgraduate taught course, available for academic high-achievers expected to achieve AAA at A Level, 36 points in the IB, or a 1st class undergraduate degree (or international equivalents).
- The Academic Excellence Scholarships (country specific, region specific and global awards): offer tuition fee discounts of up to £10,000 for the first year of study on an undergraduate or postgraduate taught course, available to students from all over the world.
- Equal Access Scholarships: a £10,660 maintenance award plus the full cost of tuition, available to students with an overseas fee status who are currently seeking asylum in the UK, have discretionary leave to remain, limited leave to remain or are the dependent of an individual with discretionary leave to remain.
- Support for international students includes: immigration advice provided by the university's Student Hub, support and advice from the university's International Student Support team, and accredited English Language courses provided by the university's Writing and Language Skills Centre for students before and during their degree.