University of York
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements
- There is support for exchange and visiting students through the Centre for Global Programmes, and an immigration advice service is provided by the university's Student Support Hub.
- Collection by coach from Manchester airport is available at the start of the academic year.
- A Welcome Week programme helps students to settle in and make friends, and there are dedicated facilities for students to practise their faith.
- Students can take pre-sessional English language courses, and the Centre for Global Programmes hosts international conversation afternoons for all students to help integration.
- York Alumni Association provides international networking opportunities.
English Language Requirements
- English language requirements vary depending on the main programme of study.
- The university runs pre-sessional courses of varying duration from 6−18 weeks which can be taken before students commence on their planned programme of study. These run over spring and summer months and cover academic literacy skills including critical reading and thinking, academic writing skills, and development of orals skills for seminars and discussions, as well as an introduction to academic culture.
- There are specialised language preparation courses for students going into postgraduate courses within the departments of Education, Music, Electronics or the Department of Social Policy and Social Work. Progression to academic studies will depend on successful completion of the pre-sessional course attended.
- The university advises that all applications for pre-sessional courses should be made before March due to the high demand for places and to allow sufficient time for visa applications where necessary.
- A range of courses is available within the university to help students improve their English and develop study skills, with some courses available free to EU and international students.
Accommodation for International Students
- Overseas students are guaranteed university accommodation for the duration of their course.
- The majority of accommodation is located on campus or within walking distance, and there is a choice of fully furnished and centrally heated rooms, including en-suite options. Family accommodation is available.
- All university accommodation has high speed Internet.
- The university mixes all students and nationalities within the college system.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.