University of York
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of York is a research-intensive institution and member of the prestigious Russell Group of universities, committed to providing an outstanding teaching and learning experience. Students are part of a diverse and supportive environment, located in a beautiful and historic European city with easy and fast connections to the rest of the UK. The university's International Pathway College offers pre-degree courses for international students wishing to prepare for entry to an undergraduate or taught postgraduate course.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
3,255 international students in 2016–17
- There is support for exchange and visiting students through the Centre for Global Programmes, and an immigration advice service is provided by the university's Student Support Hub.
- Collection by coach from Manchester airport is available at the start of the academic year and a Welcome Week programme helps students to settle in and make friends.
- Students can take pre-sessional English language courses, and the Centre for Global Programmes hosts international conversation afternoons for all students, to help integration.
English Language Requirements
- English language requirements vary depending on the course.
- The university runs pre-sessional courses of varying duration from 6−18 weeks, which can be taken before students commence their course. These run over spring and summer months and cover academic literacy skills including critical reading and thinking, academic writing skills, and development of oral skills for seminars and discussions, as well as an introduction to academic culture.
- There are specialised language preparation courses for students going into postgraduate courses within the departments of Education, Electronics, Management, Music and the Department of Social Policy and Social Work. Progression to academic studies will depend on successful completion of the pre-sessional course attended.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for international students who meet the university's criteria and apply by the deadline, for all years of their course.
- The majority of accommodation is located on campus or within walking distance, and there is a choice of fully furnished and centrally-heated rooms, including en-suite options. All rooms have access to high-speed Internet. Family accommodation is also available.
- The college system offers a built-in community with a mix of students and nationalities, helping students make friends and settle into York and the UK.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.