University of York
- Undergraduate Students
- International Students
The University of York is a research-intensive university offering students the opportunity to work with world-renowned academics at the forefront of their fields. Whether as a taught or research postgraduate, studying on campus or online, students at York join a community of creative and critical thinkers. The supportive and stimulating framework at York helps students develop the professional and academic skills and an international outlook that will prepare them for their career.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
4,595 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
- UK 60%
- EU 6%
- Other 34%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||30||160||190|
|Physics & Astronomy||110||35||145|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||70||70||140|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||60||45||105|
|Geography & Environmental Science||45||50||95|
|Accounting & Finance||0||90||90|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||20||25||45|
|Communication & Media Studies||10||15||25|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||15||15|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of York offers a number of scholarships for postgraduate students; some are centrally managed and others are offered directly through individual departments, often for specific courses.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for international postgraduate students who apply by the deadline; and there is good availability for all other postgraduates.
- All accommodation is on, or very close to campus and includes a range of room types, from economy shared bathroom options to premium en-suite rooms with wider beds and TVs in the shared kitchens.
- Bills, contents insurance and Wi-Fi are all included in the price.